PractiFI’s processes and tasks help you manage the everyday operations of your practice. They allow you to delegate, manage and track your team’s work with control and efficiency. To better understand the importance of tasks and processes in PractiFI, check out our concept dive. Here, we explain how to start a new process and manage it through to completion. Ready?
How do I start a new process in PractiFI?
Processes can be started in two ways: via the Launcher in Client View (for processes unrelated to a particular service, such as “Call client tomorrow”) and via the Services tab (for service-related processes).
- To start a process from the Launcher, select the menu icon next to the rocket in the top nav bar and select Start a Process.
- Alternatively, you can start a process from the View/Edit Service tab. First, select a service and then select Save & Start Process.
- Next, PractiFI will guide you through a simple 2-step wizard to begin building your shiny new process.
- At Step 1 of 2, fill out the following details:
- Service and Process Type: Choose a service (this is pre-formatted if creating from a service), and then pick the corresponding process type. This organizes your process and determines which tasks are created automatically at step 2. These menu choices and resulting tasks are pre-defined by your system administrator.
- Process Name: Write out a name for your new process. To keep your process lists orderly, we recommend your practice adopts a naming convention for this field. For example, use a process name convention which abbreviates client name, service name and process type. e.g. “Feldman-Full Advice-Initial Engage”.
- Description: If necessary, you can add notes about the process in this large text area.
- Owner: Specify the team member responsible for the successful completion of the process. Often, this is the practice manager or client service manager.
- Due Date: If applicable, choose the date the entire process and all corresponding tasks should be finished.
- Stage: Choose whether this process is Not Started, In Progress or Completed.
- When finished entering details, select Next in the top right to continue. PractiFI’s wizard will run its magic, interrogating the standard steps that your practice has configured for this type of process and creating a task for each one.
- In Step 2 of 2, you can adjust the tasks, add new tasks or delete unnecessary tasks. Even a complicated situations can be handled quite beautifully. For example, our lead client services associate Liz is on vacation until 19 Sep. The Feldman family requires advice in a hurry, so we’ve tasked our intern Claire with her duties until Liz returns. For the task “Request client information”, we added the text “ASAP”, updated the priority to “High” and added an extra 30 minutes estimated time. We then bumped the “Produce draft SOA” task an extra day to make sure Liz has time to review.
- When finished editing the tasks, select Save & Finish to generate your new process and associated tasks. Pretty simple!
- When finished, your process will appear in the client’s process list. Congratulations on your new process!
- If you created your process from a service (as outlined in #2 of this section), the two will become linked by the Service field. Your new process will still be displayed in the Processes list for the client, but it will also show up in the service where you created the process. For more information on services, check out our How To: Create a Service tutorial.
Voila! Your process has been launched, and your tasks within the process have been allocated to their respective team members.
How do I manage my process through to completion?
OK, so you’ve started your new process for your client. Now, let’s manage that process and its tasks through to completion.
- To view and manage an existing process, select the Processes & Tasks tab. Then, select the edit icon to launch the process popup.
- Each process contains four tabs: Process Detail, Tasks, History and Feed.
- The Process Detail tab allows you to modify details pertaining to the process itself. These are the big picture items which describe the purpose, responsibility and timeline for the process.
- The Tasks tab allows you to modify tasks created by the process. This allows you to conveniently create, edit and track new tasks related to this process on one screen. To view a detailed popup for any task in this list, select the pencil edit icon. For more information on managing individual tasks, be sure to check out our How To: Start and Manage Tasks tutorial!
- The Feed tab allows users to add file notes, comment on other file notes and upload files directly to the process. For more information about the PractiFI Feed, read our feeds tutorial (coming soon!)
- Of course, when you’re finished editing fields in any of the tabs in the popup, select Save to save your changes (unsurprisingly). You can now monitor your team members’ in real-time, and make adjustments on the fly as necessary.
- When all your tasks are complete, head back to the Process Detail tab, and mark your process stage as complete. Great work!